Photo

2017 Cowan Pottery Symposium held at Rocky River Public Library on May 6th.

Attendees at the 27th Annual Cowan Pottery Symposium participated in a lively and stimulating day of discussions and presentations which expanded knowledge of the activities, output and legacy of Cowan Pottery.

“Viktor’s Jazz Series”. Richard and Heather McClellan, who worked with Viktor in creation and production of the Centennial Jazz Series pieces, shared their research […]

|Categories: Photo||

Ohio Historic Marker dedicated at the former site of Cowan Pottery in Rocky River

On May 13th, 2016 an Ohio Historic Marker was dedicated at the Lake Road, Rocky River location where Cowan pottery was designed and produced fro 1920 to 1931. Approval and placement of the Marker was co-sponsored by Rocky River Historical Society and Cowan Pottery Museum Associates. The dedication event included a display of pottery […]

|Categories: Photo||

The 2016-17 R. Guy Cowan Scholarship award at CIA is shared by two students.

Each year CPMA funds a Scholarship¬†at Cleveland Institute of Art. The Scholarship is dedicated to R. Guy Cowan and recipients are selected by CIA Ceramics Dept. faculty. The 2016-17 academic year Scholarship is shared by Fox Nicely and Kimberly Chapman. Fox was able to attend the 2016 Cowan Pottery Symposium where he presented and […]

|Categories: Photo||

2016 Cowan Pottery Symposium held at Rocky River Public Library on May 14th

Highlights of the 2016 Symposium included presentations on the following topics which added to our knowledge of the inspiration for Cowan design themes and the activities of Cowan artists after the 1931 closure:

“Russell Barnett Aitken Archive”. Stephen Harrison and Leslie Cade, both of Cleveland Museum of Art, reviewed the nature and content of the […]

|Categories: Photo||

Ohio Historic Marker installed and dedicated at original Lakewood pottery site

 
On May 8th 2015 a joint project of CPMA and Lakewood Historical Society came to fruition with the dedication of an Ohio History Connection marker at 1360 Nicholson Avenue Lakewood, Ohio. This was the site of R. Guy Cowan’s first production pottery. The dedication was attended by representatives of both sponsoring organizations, Ohio History […]

|Categories: Photo||