On May 13th, 2016 an Ohio Historic Marker was dedicated at the Lake Road, Rocky River location where Cowan pottery was designed and produced fro 1920 to 1931. Approval and placement of the Marker was co-sponsored by Rocky River Historical Society and Cowan Pottery Museum Associates. The dedication event included a display of pottery and historical photographic panels in […]
Each year CPMA funds a Scholarship at Cleveland Institute of Art. The Scholarship is dedicated to R. Guy Cowan and recipients are selected by CIA Ceramics Dept. faculty. The 2016-17 academic year Scholarship is shared by Fox Nicely and Kimberly Chapman. Fox was able to attend the 2016 Cowan Pottery Symposium where he presented and discussed the ideas which drive […]
Highlights of the 2016 Symposium included presentations on the following topics which added to our knowledge of the inspiration for Cowan design themes and the activities of Cowan artists after the 1931 closure:
- “Russell Barnett Aitken Archive”. Stephen Harrison and Leslie Cade, both of Cleveland Museum of Art, reviewed the nature and content of the recently acquired personal archives of […]
On May 8th 2015 a joint project of CPMA and Lakewood Historical Society came to fruition with the dedication of an Ohio History Connection marker at 1360 Nicholson Avenue Lakewood, Ohio. This was the site of R. Guy Cowan’s first production pottery. The dedication was attended by representatives of both sponsoring organizations, Ohio History Connection, Cowan […]
Members of a The Cowan Pottery Museum Associates enjoyed a tour of the Waylande Gregory exhibit at the Canton Museum of Art in Canton, Ohio. The group’s guide was Thomas C. Folk Ph.D., the exhibit curator and author of the monograph titled Waylande Gregory: Art Deco and the Atomic Age.
About 500 people attended the Cowan Pottery Display Room Open House on August 4, 2013 as part of the centennial celebration. The event was held at the 1850s farmhouse on Lake Road in Rocky River, that was part of the original pottery property.